Saturday, June 17, 2017

Where Artists Create - The Studio




Now that you have met Kevin Irwin and gotten to know and appreciate her many artistic talents, I suppose you might want to see where all this wonderfulness is created! Kevin's studio is in an charming old building overlooking downtown Birmingham built in 1880. It started as a saloon and rooming house ( house of ill repute?), and later was a soda bottling plant in the 1920s, then a candy company and later the office for Perfection Laundry. The painted BAMCO ( Birmingham Auto and Machine Company) signage on the outside is still visible. Kevin's eclectic but very organized studio takes up the entire second floor while her husband Paul's Irwin Brothers Remodling occupies the ground floor. As a photographer, it's one huge photo op. The exposed brick and original wood floors, along with windows commanding some nice views of Sloss Furnaces and downtown Birmingham make for an eclectic space for Kevin to work and exhibit her art.







What is the inspiration for your work?  "My heart.  What hurts me and what heals me.  What inspires me and what makes me rage.  But what is most important is what makes me laugh and inspires me to appreciate the joy and humour in life.  HOPE,  always. " 


3 comments:

William Kendall said...

What a wonderful space to be working in!

Bob Crowe said...

I'd love to visit. What a wealth of things to see.

Daryl said...

its a bigger brighter - with a view - version of Alice Balterman's workspace .. terrific series, Virg